We were honored to have Dave Ricks back on our show. We got to interview him last year and he’s been rocking it since then. Here are some of his accomplishments – Arnold – Best Lifter at the Arnold Sports Festival in 2009, 2010 and 2011, 2012. Competes in the Raw 205 class. Bench press 210 kg (463 lbs) The Arnold – Grand Prix by SBD 03/03/2018 Deadlift 310 kg (683 lbs) The Arnold – Grand Prix by SBD 03/03/2018
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- How much does your weight fluctuate throughout the year?
- Do people at work or who know you outside of powerlifting think you are crazy or do they understand what it is that you do and why you do it?
- Who are your direct competition and how much does that drive you? John Haack, Ashton Rouska, etc
- Squatted 292.5 and missed 310, PB was 325.5 at Pacific Internationals back in April 30, 2017. Set bench press PR 210 kg (previous was 207.5 kg back in Oct 2017 and deadlift PR 310 kg (previous was 305 kg back in Oct 2017). Missed PR new total is 812.5 kg (previous was 825.5 kg back in April 2017).
- Do you think the judges were too nit-picky about depth in the squat? It appears you were just there at depth, did you think you were high or was it obvious to you as well?
- Squats seem to be difficult for you since Pacific Internationals where you went 9 for 9. Is it a mobility issue that you are working through?
- Your bench and deadlift has steadily improved, what do you attribute your progress?
- Do you think you’ll hit a raw 500# bench in comp someday? (Or gym)
- You started out Equipped…any thoughts on going back to equipped?
- You broke a bunch of state records in your bench press and deadlift PRs as well as national records. Do you have any American record breaking goals you would like to set in the future?
- What specific meets do you look forward to competing at and why (Raw Nationals, IPF Worlds, particular invitationals)?
- How many days a week do you train and have you ever considered other sports (strongman, weightlifting)?
- How are you involved in powerlifting outside of competing?