Why sustainable grocery stores are essential for a sustainable food system - with Peter Cooke of Manomet
Peter is Programme Director at Manomet - a non-profit organisation based in New England that applies science and engages people to sustain our world. Peter has designed sustainability programs for 30 years, working with Outward Bound, Government, and Sustainability non-profits.
He developed the first and only grocery sustainability system in the US, whereby grocery stores reduce their environmental footprint and achieve Grocery Stewardship Certification through a structured programme of continuous improvement and engagement.
In this episode we discuss:
- The vital role grocery stores have to play in creating a more sustainable food system
- The role of the grocery store in the community
- How waste occurs in a typical grocery store
- The financial impact of that waste and the potential savings to operators
- The quick fixes and longer term strategies to address waste
- How to engage consumers to think more deeply about the food they purchase
The discussion gives loads of ideas about how to store, refrigerate and sell food more sustainably. Whether you work in food retail, run a café or simply want to improve the efficiency of your household kitchen there are some money and planet saving tips here for you!