Rev-ALE-ution! Brewing with bread to end food waste - with Rob Wilson of Toast Ale
Rob is Chief Toaster at Toast Ale which brews beer using surplus bread that would otherwise go to waste and donates all profits to the charity Feedback to fight against food waste at every level of the food system.
Prior to leading Toast, Rob was Director of Ashoka UK, where he worked alongside and supported some of the world's most remarkable social innovators. He is also a serial social entrepreneur who has founded several social change organisations both in the UK and in Africa.
In this episode we discuss:
- How Rob's early success as a social entrepreneur helps him see the potential in other startups
- Why Toast Ale stood out as a perfect social venture
- How enormous surpluses of bread accumulate in our food systems and why it is such a huge problem
- How Toast Ale is working to address this waste in the UK and globally
- The partnerships that have helped Toast to grow so quickly
- Why they chose to become a B-Corporation and whether Rob would recommend it for other companies
- What the future holds for Toast Ale
This was a particularly fun conversation (I can confirm the products are delicious!) and an extremely interesting one too. For anyone looking to startup a social enterprise or ethically-motivated company this is essential listening.